domingo, 12 de mayo de 2013


Ronda Rousey on being a role model, future of women's MMA (Sports Terra   last update 04:02 PM)

Exclusive: Ronda Rousey on being a role model, future of women's MMAClick to see the video
Exclusive: Ronda Rousey on being a role model, future of women's MMA
Terra Sports spoke with UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey as part of Women’s History Month about her rise to fame with UFC, the challenges faced for female fighters and her place as a role model.
The outspoken fighter admitted she has “mixed emotions” about being a role model, but stressed that she was honored to be in a spot to be a trailblazer for other women.
“Of course I’m honored that people are referring to me in that way but its also a lot of responsibility. I’m human, I’m flawed,” explained Rousey. “I try to concentrate on being a role model to my little sister, because she’s the one I’m obligated to be a role model to.”
ON BEING A ROLE MODEL
The added attention, and her new found role as the representative of women’s MMA, has added newfound pressure to her appearances in and outside the octagon.
“If you’re a role model, everyone wants you to be perfect,” admitted the UFC fighter. “but it never really is equal to the pressure I put on myself. I care about myself succeeding for myself more than fighting for other people.”
Rousey, who amassed a 6-0 record with Strikeforce, admitted that fighting is a selfish sport, which is why she finds more motivation in herself than others.
“Fighting you need to be selfish about because it takes a hundred percent of your being to be good at it and you can’t do that for another person,” she explained.
Just the same, the 2008 Beijing bronze medalist in Judo had some advice for other women trying to enter fields that might not traditionally be places for women.
“I would say regardless of where you are or what you are doing, you have a right to be there. Never let anyone convince you otherwise,” she added. "You have to be willing to make everyone else uneasy with doing what you’re going to do because they’re not always going to understand.”
With someone with the talents that Rousey has, there is also always the option of taking matters into her own hands. Rousey opened up about fighting when she was younger, often humiliating boys who challenged her, though it’s not something she’d advise.
“I have been in fights before but it’s never been worth it. I always wish that I didn’t do it,” said Rousey. “They were self defense but I’d still get community service and anger management.”
FUTURE OF WOMEN'S MMA
Like many people in boxing and MMA, she was able to channel that into a successful career, and it has provided great rewards for Rousey, who became the first female UFC fighter in November 2012, defending her bantamweight title against Liz Carmouche in February.
With the new success has come more attention and more responsibility, but there have also been some perks that come with becoming an international star.
“I don’t really get a lot of rest,” said Rousey. "People come say hi all the time which is really cool but sometimes it’s a little bit tiring. I appreciate all of it but it’s a lot of work. The best perk was to get a house that is perfect, perfect location that I always wanted.”
Rousey also received a car upon winning her first bantamweight title, and she’s been able to use her new success to help those around her.
“ Its’ a lifestyle change. I can help all my friends that have been there for me all along and I can be a valuable human being for them. Those are the things that I’m the most grateful for coming from all of the success.”
With the UFC signing also came new endorsements with T-Mobile and Scion, a promising sign that there may be future opportunities for other fighters.
“With women fighters doing well in the UFC and the next women’s fight will be a co main event aI think will open a lot of opportunities for other female athletes,” she explained. “There is definitely enough depth in the women’s division. The problem is that the girls aren’t well known.”
One of the reasons that Dana White did not initially want women in the UFC was the idea that there wouldn’t be enough women to challenge Rousey, or for that matter to fill other divisions. Rousey believes it’s a lack of marketing, rather than talent, currently holding back the division.
“That was the difference between me and a lot of other fighters is that I took marketing as seriously as my training,” said Rousey. “It was important, part of my success in this sport and a lot of other women didn’t do that.”
Despite being new to the company, the bantamweight champion is interested in helping other fighters out, including the possibility of expanding the UFC Reality show, The Ultimate Fighter, to a female season to help generate hype and stars.
“I would love doing something like that. The women in the sport would benefit greatly from an Ultimate Fighter season center around them,” concluded Rousey.